Sunday, May 4, 2014

Breaking the rules

Whenever people ask me about my job, mainly when they know I am a fitness freak, many get surprised when I say that I work in IT. It is common sense that IT workers are geeks who do come out in the sun and have no life. I am not here to say that it is a lie, but one has to be careful with stereotypes.

In spite of all the changes in our society, there are still those who think you are doomed to do or become something because of your profession or hobbies (in some extremes, because of your origin). I could not disagree more with that.

The second you limit yourself is the second you fail.
Now tell me: why do you "have to"? Who said that you must do this or that to be right? Who has set these rules? And why can't you be more?

Look around you. You are unique! Act like it. What do you like most in life? What dreams do you want to achieve? What are you doing at this point to reach your goals? What do you need to do to achieve them? Think carefully about it. Visualize accomplishing that dream you have inside of you that many times, you do not even dare sharing because you are afraid of what people may say or of being laughed at.

We live in a world without frontiers. With the internet, you can "be" anywhere at any time. You post something, it goes viral, BOOM!! You are the next big thing. And if you are smart, you can make it last much more than Andy Warhol's fifteen minutes. So even if your burning desire has nothing to do with becoming a celebrity, why not giving it a shot?

There are many stories out there about those who pursued careers, but never really took off. I am in no place to question their efforts however, there is no success without failure. Look back at the story of those who started from scratch and became standards for generations.

Famous Failures
Luck is a word frequently used to describe the events that lead to success. It is true that, a lot of times, we hear about something "impossible" happening and changing the course of things. However, do not let yourself be fooled by that. Unless you have done the work and you are prepared, a chance can still be lost, no matter how good it was.

So let's go back to your dreams... What was it again? And what are doing to accomplish it? If the answer is nothing, it is time to get off the chair and kick-off. 


Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
Start by putting things on paper. It can be a text or a scrapbook. If you have room for a visual board, it is even better! At this point, let's not filter any thought. Set free all those incredible ideas you have been hiding from the sun. Forget about limitations of time, money and abilities. Let it be a constant work in progress for you. Whenever you discover something new or learn more about a certain topic, add it to your sheet.

Invest time of rising this dream. Break up with the misconceptions you have been attaching yourself to. Believe with all your heart that it can be done and do not accept excuses, mainly from yourself. It will be tiring; it will suck up energy out of you like you never thought possible; you will hate yourself for the investments you will have to do (I am not talking only about money here); you will feel like giving up... But don't! In spite the hardship, you will only know how close your are to victory once you cross the line. 


Never! Never! Never Quit!
With this said, let me share a little about my dream. Yes, it has to do with fitness. My life has changed so much, for better, since I put health in the spotlight that I became addicted to it. It is so much more than just looking good and fitting in small sized clothes. It is having more energy, almost never experiencing migraines (and when they come, they are nothing compared to the ones I used to have) and doing something that makes me happy. It is about self-esteem and appreciation.

There is still a lot I still want to accomplish for myself and you can follow my progress here and on social media*. And I also want to be able to help others who like me, have doubts, fears, are lost and who do not know how or where to start.

I hope I could inspire you get started. If there is a specific topic you would like me to write about, please let me know it. I would love to be of help!

Thanks for stopping by.

#DebbieInShape


* You can also find me on:

  • Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DebbieInShape
  • Instagram: http://instagram.com/debbieinshape
  • Twitter: https://twitter.com/DebbieInShape
  • Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/debbieinshape/
  • Google+: https://plus.google.com/104966489810408220684/

No comments: